Crooked River Lighthouse Lens by C. Nelson, 2013
Carrabelle Lighthouse Association
In 1999 the U.S. Coast Guard had plans to surplus the Crooked River Lighthouse and auction it off to the highest bidder. It was at this time that the Carrabelle Lighthouse Association, Inc. (CLA) was formed by a dedicated group of local citizens with the goal of preserving, restoring, and opening the lighthouse to the public. In August 2001 the CLA, in conjunction with the City of Carrabelle, was successful in having the Lighthouse deeded to the City through the Federal Lands to Parks program. Since that time the CLA and City officials have worked to obtain funding for the restoration of this historic treasure of Florida's "Forgotten Coast."
Today, the CLA's members are devoted to the worthy cause of restoring this small piece of maritime history. Through its efforts, the CLA has received funds from the Florida Lighthouse Association, the Florida Communities Trust, and the Florida Legislature. These funds have made possible the restoration of the lighthouse and improvements to the land surrounding the lighthouse. If you would like to help continue the work of maintaining the Crooked River Lighthouse, please join the CLA or make a tax deductible donation today. CLA, P.O. BOX 373, Carrabelle, FL 32322.
*The Carrabelle Lighthouse Association is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization.
President Steven Allen
Executive Vice-President Lori Gilbertson
Treasurer Missy Cumbie
Grounds and Park Keeper Chip Klaus
Safety/Lens Op Keeper Tim Keith-Lucas
Historians John Canetta and Rodney Reeves
Past President Delores Hardin
Charter Member Barbara Revell
Media and PR Sheri Wesson
Curator Joan Matey
Gift Shop Attendants
Eva Gombas, Lori Gilbertson
MEMBERS SHINE A LIGHT!
Help protect, preserve and restore our lighthouse's heritage.
Join us or renew WITH THIS FORM
KEEPER’S INDIVIDUAL $20
KEEPER’S FAMILY $30
KEEPER'S BEACON $100 (Business membership will receive one membership card. Free climbing for one year with proof of employment.)
GUARDIAN OF THE LIGHT $250 (Lifetime Membership)
You will receive a membership card that entitles you:
- Free climbs on the tallest beacon on the Forgotten Coast
- The smile on your face when you realize you just supported the continued preservation of the historical Crooked River Lighthouse!
- 10% discount on any item in our Gift Shop (except consignment)
- Discounts at local participating restaurants & shops
Volunteers Shine the Way!
Cheers to our valuable volunteers!
- Full Moon Events, (Greeters, Firepit Attendants, assisting lighthouse climbs with Pagers)
- Assist at Country Market (help Vendors set-up, directing visitors)
- Park grounds beautification: pick up branches, pine cones, pull weeds, etc. Not to mention great exercise!
- Clean the lighthouse tower
- Garden – help maintain, pull weeds, assist Country Market produce sales
- Inside & outside of Keeper’s House: Clean, sweep or pressure wash porch; minor repairs inside & out
- Assist in Gift Shop and Museum; office/inside chores
- Carpentry skills appreciated anytime!
- Lantern Fest in November
We need and value volunteers! Visit our Calendar for upcoming events. Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org or 850-697-2732.
Crooked River Lighthouse Museum Volunteers Can:
Get a 20% discount on any items purchased in the gift shop. (Excluding consignment items)
Climb for free as well as members of their extended family.
Reserve the Community Room for meetings of groups with which they are affiliated.